Saturday, January 2, 2016

New Year's Day Latte


Happy New Year! I am happy to be back to sharing my kitchen adventures, and even happier to be in a new year. At midnight on January 1st, I can usually be found in the presence of family screaming "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" and running to the street to watch the fireworks. We make big plans for change in the new year and talk about how we intend to achieve them. Mom and Dad put on coffee so that we can all stay up a little bit later together, watching the celebrations in New York on the TV. The next day, my mom bakes her family-famous pumpkin pies and cranberry apple tarts to accompany the big New Year's Day dinner. I'm left on January 2nd with warm memories of baking spices from the pies and tarts.


In honor of the new year and memories of holiday pies and tarts, I made a latte to match. It's warm, spicy, and creamy with a touch of bitter and sweet. I make this with whole milk because it's creamier. But feel free to substitute with any type of milk or soy product you prefer. Whipped cream on top is a must for me because the spices will gather on the surface of the drink without it. The smell and taste reminds me of  New Year's Day festivities. 


WHAT YOU NEED

1/3 cup of espresso (or strongly brewed coffee)
1/2 cup whole milk
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon sugar or to taste
Garnish with whipped cream and cinnamon
  • add additional milk if it's too strong for you

Brew the espresso. Add milk to espresso in a sauce pan on low heat. Stir in cinnamon, ginger, and sugar. Leave on low for 2 minutes. Pour into your favorite mug and top with whipped cream and cinnamon for added holiday fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment